Monday, February 6, 2012

"Collapse In Eternal Worth:" ripping new Goatwhore song



I've always considered myself down with the Goatwhore, but never followed them. Maybe that was because they're on Metal Blade and are kind of "mainstream" for extreme metal, but hangups like that are ridiculous, and I'm glad I'm over them. What I heard off Carving Out The Eyes of God was devastating, and this is just as cool if not better. Despite being named Goatwhore and having a vocalist who sounds like he's puking, these guys play with real grace and agility, gliding between disparate riffing styles without ever letting up on the amphetamine hardcore groove. At this point you should all know that Goatwhore is grounded in vintage metalpunk, Motorhead and Discharge style, and I'm happy to say that foundation remains strong beneath the black/death/thrash riffing.

You will notice that this is a "lyrics video," and that's because this is music for shouting along. I have no idea what it means to "Collapse In Eternal Worth," but I'm chomping to "digest the archetype," and you know I'm always down for "filthy rites of outrage." The coolest moment of the whole song, for me, comes at 1:50, as Goatwhore change up the riffing and order us to "mount the wings of death." A horrible cliche to be sure, but as that epic thrash riff enters it just clicks, reminding us that some images are cliches because they're inherently awesome. I love that Goatwhore always have and always will stubbornly insist on writing about Satan and how cool he is and how we're all gonna jump God in some dark alley and fuck that dude up.

7 comments:

  1. This is one of my most anticipated albums for this year, I absolutely love this band's style. Can't wait to see them live again too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i only saw them finishing up right before Watain, i wanna see a full set. i know Noktorn is a huge Goatwhore fan, so one of us will probably be reviewing the album on here.

      Delete
  2. Cool new song. I like that you tagged Motorhead in the description. I don't know why but for some reason it makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! it's that rolling double-bass work, dude. and just the raw fucking attitude.

      Delete
  3. I've been in the same boat. I've never really checked out Goatwhore to that great of an extent but I always was pretty into what they're going for. This song rips, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shit, for that matter, I love how the opening verse comes back in refrain over a different drum pattern at the end. Good touch there.

      Delete
    2. yup. they spend time writing songs instead of polishing an image, which is i guess why some people think of them as corporate impostors. go fucking figure.

      Delete