Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Get Into: Tyrant 666



I don't have the energy to write much tonight, so here's some shit that speaks for itself. 4 years ago I found this band on Myspace. This was well ahead of the current fad for cocktails of bottom-shelf black metal and watery hardcore, so when I saw that Tyrant listed their genres as "Black Metal/Punk/Blues," I was basically sold. The album, goofily entitled Reclaim The Flame, was not a disappointment. This doesn't really sound like any of today's trendy bullshit, perhaps because these dudes were actually in kvlt Swedish Second Wave bands like Vinterland and The Black (with Nodtveidt himself!). It also sounds totally old-school without sounding retro at all--the influences are apparent, but the style is distinctive, and this shit is heavy enough to go toe-to-toe with any modern-sounding band. Tyrant bring a bonecrushing wall of fuzzed-out guitar and bass, a brutal midtempo riff-form based on bludgeoning down-picked quarter notes, and a vocalist who sounds like Tom G Warrior in the Hellhammer days, only twice as tough and angry.

Part of the charm of Reclaim The Flame is that Tyrant clearly wrote it all at once and cranked it out in a single drunken recording session, probably live in the studio. Most of the slow songs are virtually interchangeable with one another, but they rule anyways. Tyrant broke up after recording this and a split with Alehammer, which bummed me out. But not too badly, because it's not like they really gave a flying fuck. Brews were crushed, Satan was hailed, black metal was made. Bang your heads, fuckers.



BONUS BATHORY COVER! notice how on the chorus they make it sound like The Misfits.

11 comments:

  1. i cannot overstate how much i love this guitar sound. why do black metal bands have to tune all high and spindly and rip off Transylvanian Hunger when they can just play big meaty fucking power chords like this???

    ReplyDelete
  2. The better Tyrant came from Pasadena. Jus' sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just looked 'em up... kind of an apples and oranges comparison I'd say, but yeah, this other Tyrant fucking slays! Like really, so fucking good. I've been into that grimy, heavy USPM sound for a while, and this is without a doubt the best thing I've heard in that vein so far. Expect a TBO post on it, and a credit to you for turning me on to them.

      Delete
    2. also super-cool is that on some songs the Pasadena Tyrant remind me a lot of the early crust shit going on in the UK at the same time...the heavy guitar, sorta growled vox, etc...

      Delete
  3. Yea, definitely an apples to oranges comparison, but they were the only Tyrant I knew about before reading about the Swedish Tyrant today. Also, I'm old balls when it comes to my metal for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Word, no shame in that... I tend that way too, though I do spend a lot of time on this blog trying to turn people on to cool newer shit. With your taste for oldschool, I imagine you'd at least get a kick of the Swedish band. Did you dig it?

      Delete
  4. Yea, I enjoyed it. Kind of reminded me of a cross between Sabbat (Jpn) and Dissection. Really enjoyed it the thick, meaty guitar tone they use. For the primal, chug-beer-hail-Stain metal, I think it's the only way to pursue it effectively.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dissection? Like, their earlier death metal-y stuff? Interesting comparison! I've always sort of written off Sabbat but now feel like I should listen to them...

      Delete
  5. Never heard of these guys before, but this is really good shit.

    ReplyDelete