Monday, January 30, 2012

oh god oh man oh god oh man

I'll touch on this briefly.

Well, there's not much to say, honestly. It's not like I can really say that this in particular is a defining moment of black metal's ultimate descent into decadence and irrelevancy, but I'm struck with an unbelievable level of disappointment just the same. Not for the book itself, really- I mean, what else should one expect- but in the idea that metalheads are still so infatuated with the symbols and signs of their subculture, devoid of any meaning or significance, that they would gladly pay for a bloody, recently-shit turd like this one if it looked like a hand throwing the horns. The same goes for the mentioned Sasha Grey movie- Christ, put all the mentioned characters in one room together and a denial of a "hipster motive" becomes the sort of foxhole atheism that just isn't useful. None of it's going to be good; I just hope that most people don't have the motivation to investigate them further.

One good point: it led me to this delightful thing.

4 comments:

  1. "a Contributing Editor for The Believer, and a Music Curator at MoMA/PS1." I had no idea, but it makes so much fucking sense. Oh, the degeneracy. Oh, the decadence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One benefit of focusing on the music itself instead of extramusical aesthetics is that a reasoned analysis of compositional choices will never be co-opted by the people discussed above like inverted crosses and corpse paint have been.  I suspect this is because such people are musically ignorant and interested in music only as a vehicle for visual aesthetics and vapid philosophy.  An interview between Mr. Stosuy and Liturgy I found on Pitchfork's front page exemplifies this - finding an actual mention of the music itself as opposed to pop culture or Cliff-Notes Nietzsche is a challenge: http://pitchfork.com/features/show-no-mercy/8761-death-to-black-metal/ 

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jute: You're right, and I raised this point in the WITTR review I did a while ago--Stosuy is really reluctant to talk about the actual music. Though I will say that nobody has really co-opted corpsepaint, except as an ironic gesture--and irony means they're still afraid of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am I missing out on something? Because I've never even heard of this book before. And following the advice in the post, I am reluctant to investigate further. Though, by the looks of it, it at least seems like it's not about the whole early 90s Norwegian black metal scene saga, which unfortunately says a lot about the lamentable state of literature on black metal.

    ReplyDelete