Monday, December 12, 2011

Get Into: Musta Paraati



Sick Finnish deathrock from the early 80s that really sounds like nothing else from the time. I mean, it definitely sounds like The Killing Joke, but Musta Paraati did a fantastic job of borrowing their basic musical forms while injecting them with a completely different songwriting sensibility. And it was pretty damn prescient--in less than a decade a lot of "industrial rock" bands would basically sound like this, minus all the things that make this so good. Seeing as I am now singing in a goth band I'll probably be using words like "deathrock" more and more around here, so I should explain. It was originally used by the brilliant L.A. band Christian Death to distinguish their more "rocking" occult punk from the cold, angular post-punk of English bands like Siouxsie and The Banshees and Bauhaus, but the word quickly became interchangeable with "goth," and then--even more quickly--ceased to be fashionable once goth became a commercially viable subculture. Nowadays, the "deathrock" tag just refers to aggressive, overtly punk goth. Anyway, Musta Paraati are amazing and I've been listening to them a lot lately, trying to figure out how to rip them off.

8 comments:

  1. Rasmus from DenmarkDecember 12, 2011 at 9:12 AM

    Wow, that was much better than I would have expected! I've always felt rather apprehensive towards the whole goth/deathrock scene (possibly because the very term 'deathrock' is much cooler than most of the bands who are designated as that), but this track is GOOD. And speaking of cold British post-punk, how do you fell about Alien Sex Fiend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Really enjoying your posts about goth/post-punk, you usually hit gold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, this is fucking GREAT. This is exactly the type of thing I've been seeking lately. I really like how it's all in Finnish; something about (personally) not being able to understand the lyrics gives it this depth of mystery and unusual feeling. Plus, the delivery of the lyrics and the timing of how he stresses each word is perfect. Killer gyrating beats and glum, yet uplifting keyboard melodies. My word this is great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very, very nice.
    Pavel, have you ever listened to MIGHTY SPHINCTER? If not, you definitely need to as soon as possible. More rock than this, but the most spastic insane kind of rock and death. Check my blog for "New Manson Family"

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Rasmus: Never really listened to ASF, but I've definitely heard them, if that makes sense, so I'm guessing whatever I heard didn't really grab me. But they're definitely due for a revisit. As far as Batcave bands I do really really dig the little bit of Specimen I've heard thus far. Maybe a candidate for another TBO post at some point...

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Dragunov: Thanks dude! Expect even more to come.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Ido: I know of the Sphincter from Cosmic Hearse but have never listened. With my love of pummeling repetitive groove I'm instinctively less likely to check out a band labeled as "spastic," but I know that doesn't make much sense seeing as it probably means different things to different people. For instance, listened to Ausgang today and that's pretty spazzy shit, but it was also heavy as fuck. Deep groove. I will hit up your blog for that album soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @B: As usual, we are on the same wavelength. You're spot on about the vocalist's impeccable phrasing--that's actually something I would've written about if I hadn't been so tired. His singing is so catchy that the track basically does everything a good pop song should do, while also being everything a pop song isn't.

    ReplyDelete