Sunday, October 2, 2011

Get Into: Sol Invictus


For whatever reason it's taken me much longer to get into Sol Invictus than Death In June or Current 93. What I'm now realizing is that I enjoy Tony Wakeford's songwriting even more than either Douglas Pearce's or David Tibet's. While for DIJ the songs are but a part of a much larger aesthetic undertaking, and for C93 they're a vehicle for Tibet's elegantly opaque lyrics, for Sol Invictus they are ends in themselves. Tony Wakeford is a folk singer in the truest sense of the word, and if you listen you'll hear just how goddamn musical his music is.

It hits me on a very personal level. I can't think of a time in my life when "Laws and Crowns" would not have held me spellbound...if someone had played it for me when I was five years old, I would've understood. If you're a metal guy who hasn't listened to much neofolk, wait 'til the heavy guitars come in. You can pretty much headbang to this. It will convert you, and you will hearken to the dreams of the sleeping gods.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this song is great. Inspired me to give SI another chance. If you haven't already, make sure you check out the new Of The Wand and The Moon album. Its been the driving force for my current neofolk kick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. been storming around singing it all day! and ok, will do. i am a huge fan of Sonnenheim, actually did a brief post on that album a couple weeks ago. Kim Larsen's definitely got the Wakefordian "troubadour" thing going too.

    ReplyDelete