Saturday, October 29, 2011

Get Into: Bootblacks



Just got back from St. Vitus where I saw Bootblacks, who have fast become my favorite band on the NYC goth/postpunk scene. I was digging it even more than when I first saw them just over a month ago. Then, they were battling through technical difficulties. Tonight, they were reveling in the venue's awesome sound system. After the show my friend and I congratulated the vocalist and shot the shit for a minute, he was a really chill guy. Before parting ways we told him our names, and he casually introduced himself as "Panther." Nice.

As you can hear in the sick video above, Bootblacks play bass-heavy, bilious art-punk. They owe a lot to The Birthday Party but don't really sound like the Birthday Party. Where young Nick Cave and company usually tried to maximize their songs' destructive potential, Bootblacks' songs are more melodic and structured, emphasizing the play between the rhythm section's anchoring grooves and their shock-headed guitarist's twisted riffage. It's not frantic, it's tense. The effect is quite powerful, and the moments of release are conducive to headbanging. Excellent band, impeccable style. Check them out.

Here are some cool songs on their Soundcloud. I especially recommend "The Things We Did."

9 comments:

  1. Pavel you have good taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That music video is really pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ace. I saw them in Brussels last year, with fond memories:

    http://dontgetoutmuch.over-blog.com/article-bootblacks-monozid-61963410.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to be totally random and unrelated, but found a VERY interesting band Trial By Ordeal may appreciate.

    http://kicktokill.blogspot.com/2011/10/meth-drinker.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. @TOAST: thanks as always dude. pretty sure there will be more and more of the dark nonmetal shit going up here as time goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @alli: cheers, great to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Jez: Read your review, nice writing. Liked the bit about "leaves neither to be desired." Also, I just checked out P.B.L. and am really digging it. Will listen more thoroughly when it's not so late. Maybe it'll end up on this blog at some point...

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Ido: Gosh, so random, you're just fucking up this lovely goth thread with your sludge-isms. But seriously, thanks for sharing. I see what you mean about it being a TBO kinda band. Sludge is not really my thing, but I bet Noktorn would appreciate it more than me.

    ReplyDelete