Sunday, October 16, 2011

Keyboards are cool


Are you a generic dude in a Darkthrone t shirt who mistakenly believes he's into black metal? Perhaps you say stupid shit like "keyboards don't belong in black metal, that's just so cheesy." Or "Fantasy cover art is so ridiculous, who can take that shit seriously? My band hired a Real Graphic Designer to do a tasteful minimalist composition for our album." If so, you may also be wondering where your testicles went. Just ask Asmodeus. They have 'em, and maybe if you abase yourself before their iron throne they'll be kind enough to throw them back to you.

I don't know anything about this band, just found em on Youtube. I love the key-ed up bombast and their penchant for brooding over single chords as the drummer just goes to town on his kit. It hasn't blown my mind or anything but it's cool shit, and a nice reminder of how black metal actually sounds. And that cover art, dude, that cover art!

It should go without saying, but this is the sort of shit that benefits a lot from BEING TURNED UP REALLY LOUD.

8 comments:

  1. Holy fucking fast blasting headbangable black fucking metal with keyboards, this is great. Any similar bands that you could reccomend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you dig it! I figured this would hit someone's sweet spot. I'm actually stumped coming up with similar bands off the top of my head, partly because I usually listen to rawer stuff and party because--as you pointed out--these guys are doing a lot of things at once. if i can think of any other brutal, modern-sounding keyboard stuff I'll let you know.

    But because I'm a geek I'll take a stab at recommendations anyway! For Norsecore that doesn't suck, try the criminally underrated Lord Belial, especially their second album Enter the Moonlight Gate. Total blast-fest with actual thinking behind the melodies. And if you were digging Asmodeus' really heavy bass drum blasts I'd suggest checking out Infernal War, especially their newer shit like the Conflagrator EP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH WAIT I'VE GOT ONE: dude you HAVE to hear In Battle. Swedish. Basically a perfect band. Check the album "Rage of the Northmen." They don't use keys in every track but they're there. And instead of sounding glossy or excessively technical, its like the awesomely shitty blown-out Casio from the earliest Emperor and Enslaved material (which for me are THE paradigmatic black metal recordings). Long story short, this is one of the most brutal and melodically intricate bands I've ever heard. They will shred your face off. I will probably do a "get into" on them at some point, once I buy the album, but since you asked you get to hear about 'em first!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Morgenstern: yeah i was thinking of them but i don't know their music that well and am not quite sure what i think of it (though the idea of a band that basically sounds like "Nightside" Emperor is quite appealing to me)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "dude you HAVE to hear In Battle"

    Already have, great band. Gonna check out Lord Belial sometime later. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, CC are what they are. I find them to be a mix of Nightside-era Emperor and EDT-era Dimmu Borgir which I can dig. It's a poor man's version of both of those albums mixed together, but I think it's fu- I mean, grim?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this. It could've been very generic, boring shit, but it's just over-the-top enough to be memorable. I like a good assraping every now and then (no homo).

    ReplyDelete