Monday, September 26, 2011

Interest check: download blog

I've started a couple download blogs in the past, but I've quickly abandoned them out of what seems like a lack of interest in the sort of thing I'd like to do with them. With Trial By Ordeal seeing a stable community of commentators and viewers, I'd like to see what you guys think of the sort of thing I'd like to do.

I'd like to start a download blog for the sort of people who read Trial By Ordeal; those who have an interest in extreme music (and, as usual, with an emphasis on metal) who are simply looking for interesting music, not to find something specific. To be more precise: the download blog I would create wouldn't feature leaks of the new Nightwish, big-name hipster bands, or Bone Awl bootlegs. Instead, I'd like to post interesting albums (with an emphasis on demos) from my personal collection that I feel are interesting and unique. Stuff you've never heard of but want to try simply to hear something new and different. Instead of regurgitating the same bland shit that seemingly ever other download blog likes to these days (check out the new Dark Funeral, here's a hardcore 7" in FLAC to flatter your sense of eccentricity,) I'd like to start one for people enthusiastic and passionate about extreme music who'd like to explore the forgotten, odd stuff that probably won't go anywhere. Independent presses, limited CDrs, forgotten classics, the like.

If you'd be interested in seeing something like this, comment below and let me know what you think. I'd like to share all the weird, hoary stuff I've amassed over the years; I'd just like a proper venue to do it.

13 comments:

  1. I'd be interested. I like download blogs, especially ones that deal in the forgotten, obscure, or weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you even know what the term hipster means?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's TheExodusAttack from MA, and I'd definitely be interested in checking out whatever bizarre things you'd upload here. I read this blog regularly and downloaded Mirkvid per your recommendation. Weird stuff, but I'm up for whatever else you got.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd definitely be interested in it. Well, maybe not whatever slam/brutal death you may end up sharing, but other than that...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that's a brilliant idea. Even in this day and age when super-obscure releases are just a couple of mouse clicks away, some things just slip below your radar or remain outside your sphere of awareness for some reason. It would be supremely interesting to get acquainted with some extreme weirdness that otherwise would have remained unknown. To some extent TBO already fulfills this role for me - as I've said earlier, you guys have made me listen to and buy cds from a handful of bands already. But there is stuff that seems to be out of reach - I've been unable to get hold of anything by Dethroned Emperor, for instance. So, yeah, I'm definitely into your download idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol at I'M COMING FOR YOU COSMIC HEARSE

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds promising, it really sucks that so much quality music may pass into obscurity so I am very into the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Percival TipplebottomSeptember 27, 2011 at 2:21 PM

    Yeah, I likely would not have found Mirkvid without the dl you put up, so I'd definitely be into it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I dig the idea Nokky (this is Frog/Sam btw) and you should definitely do it. It cuts down on the steps I take to mediafire bands you talk about on here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the idea of this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm down for this, I'm sure there's some awesome stuff in your collection that I probably won't hear anywhere else. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a good idea, but it might be better just to have some download posts on TBO instead. Also, I'd recommend only posting stuff occasionally so people have time to give each thing a proper chance. I find it impossible to keep up with most blogs of the kind you're aiming for, and it becomes a chore. It would be a treat to have the occasional strong recommendation from someone who knows their shit.

    ReplyDelete