Friday, July 29, 2011

Negator - "Panzer Metal"



Just stumbled across this thanks to a namedrop on Metal Archives, and had to post it. Here is a nowadays black metal band that is doing it right. Respectful of oldschool wisdom but highly contemporary. Imagine if Panzer Division Marduk had included Dissection-style harmonies alongside the minimal powerchord riffing. Cool, right? These guys have also inherited Dissection's penchant for throwing everything but the kitchen sink into every song...there are a staggering number of sick riffs in this track alone. The opening is great, but shit really gets started just before the 1:00 minute mark. And the change-up at 3:22 is bold and stirring. As a picky critic I've gotta say I'd prefer a rawer production, but when the songwriting is this good you sort of just have to accept the whole aesthetic package. I'm sure they had their reasons. This fucking owns.

I'm still too busy with work to do a real post, but should be back in the next couple days.

9 comments:

  1. The riffs are awesome... the vocals are pretty damn bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot stand this kind of music anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It reminds me of Sacramentum with Naglfar's production. Needless to say, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok, replies!

    @anon 1: now that you mention it, i see what you mean. the fact that i barely even registered the vocals before is certainly not good. i guess i tend to treat mediocre vocals like these as just another layer of noise in the mix... they'd have to be REALLY awful to ruin cool riffs for me (only example i can think of is Dani Filth's "angry duck" voice on the early, more aggressive Cradle stuff).

    @Dr. Ben: hahaha this sort of hyperspeed stuff is definitely not for everyone... can see how it could come off as just a wall of big dumb sound. but the riffs are so cool :(

    @anon 2: A friend of Sacramentum is a friend of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think you turned me on to something new.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Lago: yeaaaahhh! some of those riffs would sound great in Lago songs, actually...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lago doesn't actually have songs... just riffs that we tastefully rip off from good bands. thats the way metal should be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't really have a problem with the vocals. I mean, they're not original, but how are they BAD? I'm always amazed when people have really fine-grained opinions about screamed/growled vocals. I mean, what is the standard here?

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Supreme: For me it's that the vocals didn't really grab my attention. They're not badly performed, just kind of bland.

    ReplyDelete