Monday, May 23, 2011

Beatdown hardcore is cool



I'm about to pass out, but what better time to watch a sick video of the circle pit at a Japanese hardcore show? Would love to see these guys teach some emo kids about real karate kicks...

The music is "Japan Beatdown Anthem" by the strangely named band Straight Savage Style. I haven't been able to find any real info about them, but this mp3 is a one-track demo that is floating around on the internet. It embodies the most extreme end of a really cool, totally obscure subgenre of mosh-friendly metalcore called "beatdown hardcore."

Straight Savage Style are all about monolithic slams, to such an extent that their sound is very abstract, even inadvertently arty. People who are into bands like Winter and Coffins will probably ignore "Japan Beatdown Anthem" because it's so far from the treasured "vintage death metal" aesthetic, but that's a huge mistake... S.S.S. are basically getting at the same thing.

Weird, devastating shit. Highly recommended.

9 comments:

  1. Wow... these kids make the American "crews" look like complete pussies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, i can feel the impact of fists and feet just looking at it... oof!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But then again... they're Japanese. They are all 5'5" and 130 pounds. At least thats how I remember it when I lived in Okinawa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. but there's only one way to tell for sure... a new episode of Spike's Deadliest Warrior: Boston FSU bruiser vs. Japanese circle pit ninja.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not into this kind of hardcore. But I've been to lots of death rock/punk shows in Japan. That is more everyone thrashing forward and diving. They get serious air time. Plus all the spikes and boots are pointy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to see a japanese deathrock show. And yeah, that's more my mosh style too, but I respect what these jock guys can do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. jocks rule. you nerds are still mad about being pushed into lockers while all the jocks got HOT BABES and porked all the time.

    safety

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never got pushed into lockers cause I was too tricky to catch. Most of the jocks at my school were probably porking each other while listening to Dave Matthews.

    ReplyDelete